Solab and Onboard Tracker™ were honoured to support TEDxAberdeen again this year and get the chance to be part of the most popular talks of all time, right here in Aberdeen.
TED is a non-profit organisation devoted to ‘Ideas Worth Spreading’. What started as a four-day conference in California 30 years ago, has since grown to support its mission with multiple global initiatives. The success of the organisation is astonishing, some TED speakers have included big names including Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert and Sir Richard Branson.
TEDx is a program of local, self-organised events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience, where x = independently organised TED event. TEDxAberdeen launched in 2021 and the main goal of is to inspire through the sharing of ideas, spark deep conversations and foster meaningful connections.
TEDxAberdeen 2022 saw the theme of “Movement” grace the stage. Ten speakers covered a diverse range of topics including:
- Social acceptance and inclusion
- Keeping language alive
- Resistance to change
- Re-thinking values
- Societal conditioning
Each speaker shared their interpretation of the ‘Movement’ theme, which made the day all the more interesting.
As a progressive technology and software specialist and IT support provider, we are always “moving” forward. We never stand still and never leave our clients behind, so the day deeply resonated with us on many levels.
The talented guest speakers took to the “red dot” on Saturday 12th November to deliver their powerful, emotive, and inspirational stories and truly ‘moved’ the room. Each person took away something different, which is what TEDx is all about.
We heard from:
- Dr Aileen Alexander and her talk on “The Best Diet for Weight Loss”.
- Alex Whyte and her talk on the “Career Mother Gear”.
- Del Redvers and his talk on “How your Hypocrisy Can Help to Save Humanity”.
- Eric Doyle and his talk on how “Passion Will Get You Moving”.
- Fraser Hay and his talk on “From Human Being to Human Becoming”.
- Katie Forbes and her talk on how “Autism is a Difference, not a Disorder”.
- Lauren Hay and her talk on “Is Doric Dying?”.
- Lyly Fong and her talk “Beyond the Chinese Takeaway”.
- Zoe Morrison and her talk on “Why We Say People Don’t Like Change”.
- Sarah Rochester and her talk “We Don’t Need a Reason”.
Kevin Coll, Managing Director, Emily Reid, Business Development Manager and Business Graduate, Zoe Prentice, were in the audience and were left hugely uplifted by each and every speaker, their stories and views of the world.
Emily said: “I took so much from the day personally – each speaker delivered their messages so eloquently and powerfully, and as a frequent Ted Talk listener I love how each audience member can relate in their own way to the stories told and have that little lightbulb moment of identifying small ways we can continue to better ourselves”.
A huge congratulations to all speakers, organisers, sponsors, partners, and the wider business community for coming together to bring ideas to light and create an empowering and inspirational afternoon.